Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Polk State College is committed to equal access/equal opportunity in its programs, activities, and employment. For additional information, visit polk.edu/equity.
Winter Haven Campus
Mon - Thur: 7:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Sat: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Finding Books & eBooks
The Polk State Library Catalog can be used to search for any item the library has access to, such as books, ebooks, online videos, DVDs & articles.
To begin your search in the library’s catalog, start at the Polk State Library home page and click on the Book/Catalog link.
Basic Search – this is the default screen
- You may limit your search by format (Articles, Audio/visual, eBooks, Books, etc.).
- You may limit your search by location (Lakeland or Winter Haven campus).
- If you know the item you are looking for, you can type in the title. If not enter key word(s) for your topic.
- You can search for exact phrases by placing quotation marks around your terms. (e.g, “Occupational Therapy”).
Advanced Search – Click on the Advanced search option to allow you to search more precisely
- You can restrict the search by format or location. (You can select a location from the drop down menu and search for items held at that particular location only.)
- The results from your search will be sorted by Relevance to your search terms. You can also sort them by date.
- Look at the left hand side of your results page to further narrow your search. There are suggestions given as to location(Library/Collection), format, and various subject areas among others.
- Use the example citations feature, under details to generate a citation. Look for the APA citation & copy then paste. Always double check for accuracy in a style guide.
- Use e-shelf feature to select items from any search results page and add them your e-shelf (You must log in to do this).
Finding Books Video Tutorial